The Charlestown Fire District was formed through legislation in 1974. The District was given the authority to provide for fire protection and other emergencies in the portion of Charlestown not covered by the Dunns Corners Fire District. Prior to that time fire protection in this area was provided by the Charlestown-Richmond Volunteer Fire Association and the Cross Mills Volunteer Fire Department. These two departments have been in existence since 1928 and 1938 respectively and continue today as the fire companies of the Fire District. The District is governed by a five member Board of Engineers elected by the District taxpayers. The Board of Engineers appoint a district fire chief and assistant chief(s), treasurer, tax collector, clerk, moderator, a three member board of canvassers, and a three member board of assessors. The District holds monthly business meetings and an annual meeting in August.